The tire repair kit is located in the underfloor storage area of the trunk. The kit contains:
- An instruction manual
- Air compressor
- Pressure gauge
- Power cord
- Two hoses
- A bottle of sealant
The Honda Tire Repair kit is ideal for temporarily repairing a small hole in the tread area. The majority of roadside flats are caused by a simple puncture from a nail or another object. The tire repair kit should be sufficient to repair approximately 85% of all flat tires. Many people like Deshais have 24 hour assistance that they are able to call for anything else.
Some people aren’t sure about the benefits of using the tire repair kit versus the conventional spare tire and tools. Deshais honestly points out that she, like many others, has reservations about putting on a spare tire by herself. The tire repair kit is simple enough for most people to use on their own without having to wait for Roadside Assistance. Plus, using the kit takes about half the time of putting on a spare.
The kit is much lighter, cleaner, and easier to work with. This is especially important if you’re dressed for work or on your way to an important event. In addition, the lighter weight of the kit versus a spare also contributes to fuel efficiency. That’s a real bonus. The small size means more room for storage, and that’s something you can use everyday compared to a spare tire that you may never use.
The sealant is specifically designed for vehicles with a tire pressure monitoring system and won’t damage those sensors. You can use the air-only hose to top off air pressure in the tires if you’re not near a gas station. You can also use it to fill up the tires on your mountain bike – That’s another cool bonus!
How to use the Tire Repair kit to temporarily repair a tire:
- Be aware of alerts from the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
- Find a safe spot to pull over.
- Turn the engine off.
- Put the hazard lights on.
- If you can – locate the puncture on the tire.
◦ If it’s a rip on the sidewall or a tread puncture larger than 4mm – about the size of a pencil eraser – you will need to call Roadside Assistance.
- Leave the nail in the tire to increase the likelihood of a successful repair. This makes it easier to locate the puncture when the tire is permanently repaired.
- Back the vehicle up so that the puncture is on the ground – in the 6 o’clock position.
- Unwrap the power cord to get to the hose.
- To use the sealant with air – find the clear hose.
- Take off the valve cap.
- Tightly screw on the hose.
◦ There’s a safety lock in the hose connector that prevents the release of sealant until the hose is fully engaged.
- Plug the compressor into the accessory power socket.
◦ Do not use the kit using accessory power alone. You need to run the engine while using the compressor to inject sealant and air.
- Turn on the engine.
◦ Only repair the tire outdoors.
- Set the selector switch to Sealant/Air.
- Press the inflator switch to turn on the compressor.
- Turn off the compressor occasionally to check the air pressure on the gauge.
◦ The whole process should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Keep adding air until you get the tire’s recommended inflation level.
◦ When the sealant injection is complete, the pressure will drop.
- Once the tire is inflated to the recommended inflation level, unplug the power cord.
- Unscrew the hose.
- Drive for about 5 miles to evenly distribute the sealant that’s inside the tire.
◦ Only drive at a safe speed on a temporarily repaired tire – No more than 50 mph
◦ Reminder stickers should be placed on the repaired wheel and inside the vehicle.
- Pull over to a safe spot.
- Re-check the air pressure using the Air-Only hose and pressure gauge on the kit to make sure the tire is holding pressure.
- Safely drive to Hendrick Honda to have the tire permanently repaired or replaced if needed.
- Let the qualified technicians at Hendrick Honda know that there is sealant in the tire. We will also replace your bottle of sealant.
It’s that easy. No heavy dirty wheel and tire to lift. No jack to operate. Just the convenient compact tire repair kit. You’ll have peace of mind knowing it’s there when you need it.